Heeding to the wishes of my friend, here I relate the story(!!) of the "Big Mom"..
Who is "Big Mom"..? That is... yours truly! My BITSian name is supposedly Big Mom, but I can assure you no one actually called me by that name except in the first few weeks!
It all began in the first semester. We were about 11 girls from the same class in school at Pilani. At one point of time, we were badly ragged by some seniors..(Who will not if 45 people land from the same school..including the boys?). After that session, I believe I spoke some encouraging and sensible words(Well.. I never cried.. thats all. I don't remember saying anything ;)). So, the gang of girls decided to name me "Big Mom". I was Ok.. I mean Big Mom is not too bad a name... is it?
Then came the misery.. The friends(??) felt it was too long and decided to shorten it. Some of them called me "Big" and some "Mom". Since the latter was confusing, they decided "Big" was the best bet... and it stuck on. All of them :( , except of course the Professors and the boys(!!) called me "Big" at BITS. There were other forms used as well.. Bada, Badi, B..
I was Ok.. as long as it was confined to the walls of the hostel. But more often than not, I had somebody shouting at me at the top of the voice in the corridor... "Biggggggggg.. Hi!". I felt more irritated that anything else responding to whoever that was!
Even now, after so many years... when I bump into a BITSian girl from my batch, they have a confused look as to how to address me :|, and the first thing I tell them is my name! So much for having studied at the same place!!
Now, its an old story and not many people call me so but I must admit, I am relieved! I won't say I am missing too much of my name... but I do miss some of the folks who called me so :). Anyway, its a small world and I will surely catch up with them all!
So, thats it for now. Signing off!
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Cool B!!!! Dun worry!! u will have new entries in the list of people who call u badi!!!!
Post a Comment