Thats a strange title I think. I actually googled on it and got a rather imposing wikipedia description of it..
So, I think I'd rather explain my definition of it... what I mean by intellectual capital is the employee or developer workforce in a software company who apply their intellect to create the product or service. For an Information Technology firm, they are equivalent to other tangible physical assets. Admittedly, I heard about this term in the newspaper - some software company HR person had described them so and how its important to treat and retain them.
Now, my grouse is how many firms ( not necessarily in IT) recognize this potent point of keeping their intellectual capital happy and satisfied. Why is that big(huge) companies don't delve on this point and let their employees be frustrated and disappointed. Why don't they have consistent and effective policies that will appreciate the work of the best and offer them tangible benefits.. If the company is not recognizing it, why doesn't the concerned manager(or supervisor) consider it as his responsibility to fight for the person..
A manager I know says that we should tell them that promotions/hikes/bonuses are not important.. but its the opportunity they get to work on challenging assignments that is more important. Fair enough, if this is how the entire organization sees it. When a decidedly junior( in terms of experience and intellect) gets a benefit in a peer team/group and you are biased against.., its difficult to convince your team.
This sounds more like a rant post... The point I am trying to make is managing is not only about getting the work done but also to ensure the work of your people is recognized and appreciated by the higher management and the organization. The only reason I survived for so long with one firm.. is because I had an excellent manager who ensured I got challenging work as well as good rewards for it.
Why this part has affected me enough to post a blog is because I can see a couple of my good friends fighting what looks like a hopeless battle against an ineffective supervisor and what I suspect, an ignorant higher management. Lets hope they succeed soon.
Its also a reminder to me that If I need to be a good leader, then I need to be sensible to the needs of the people I lead and guide/motivate them to achieve their best!
Cyanora. Its late in the night.. Though I am a night person and follow the London time in India as my friends put it.. I think I should bid goodbye. :)
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment