Saturday, August 16, 2008

A good one

Sorry, about that rather vague title to this one.. but I really can't think of something nice and descriptive! Just goes to show that I am not in the blogging zone..

Anyway, I happened to catch a good show on TV today in NDTV Profit - Warren Buffet and Bill Gates answering questions posed by students in a graduate school (I presume some business school.. not sure, I started watching in between). I found the interaction brilliant - it was candid, funny and put across the human side of these individuals. I must admit this is the first time I have heard/seen them speak..

I liked the way they took on simple(silly??) questions posed by the students and answered them in a normal and funny way. The things that I particularly liked

- Their definition of success in a non-business scenario.

- How they think that their children will not get all the money they have, but only a part of it. Warren says its against American society to give wealth in dynasty.. their country is about how capable an individual is and how he builds his position of wealth on his own and not given to them.

- How they think the American tax system is not progressive. It taxes all of them in around the same percentages, they feel the rich should be taxed more than others!

- One of the questions asked is how to succeed in your professional life and get into a managerial position. Response was its not only about IQ, its about your attitude.. you must strive to get the best out of others.

- Their commitment to using their money to help people all over the world who do not have adequate facilities

Thats about all I remember now. Do catch the show if you can. If not, next time you get an opportunity to listen to these gentleman.. I'd suggest you give them a hearing. You might just like it!

Ok folks. Bye!

No comments: