I heard this about a person I have met... Apparantly the woman is being stalked by a guy for close to 5 years. I don't know too many of the details, but the girl and her family have been unable to do much .. I don't know how true this story is or should I believe it at all in the first place... but what got me thinking is how ignorant I am as a person to deal with something like this.
I imagined myself to be in a similar situation and wondered how I should deal with it and drew well.. a blank :(. We make claims about going to the police or to a lawyer, but how much do we trust them and how does law deal with such situations. There is no tangible evidence available in this case, just a fear pyschosis ....
This led me to think that we know so little of the law of the country. A silly tamil movie "Tamizhan" talked about this and I found it laughable and silly :(. But the point it raised is quite true and relevant - we must know our Indian civil law at a basic level. How many of us know what needs to be done to deal with things like this? Whom should we approach and at what point?
I read a book by John Grisham - the Rainmaker. Here, a black couple lose their son because the insurance company refuses to pay up for the bone marrow treatment that the kid requires. In the course of the courtroom battle, we realise that the insurance company rejects claims over a certain amount all the time primarily because they are convinced the poor claimants(the black couple here) would never approach a lawyer. We are no better ... We don't know our rights, we don't know whom to approach and we certainly don't know how to deal with it.
I read somewhere that US is a developed country where the citizens run to the courtroom for everything.. We may be there in another 40 years time, but till then the current generation must and should learn about our rights and the law.. Any suggestions on how to do it is most welcome..
B
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment